solderlab logo

banner

Articles

Matrix Controller Boards - True Color for 16x8 Leds

We designed an universal controller board for steering 16x8 RGB LEDs. Each color has 8 bit resolution resulting in 24 bit (true color) per Pixel/LED. However, internally we even work with 12 bit pulse-width modulation. The on-board microcontroller (ATmega328) transforms the incoming 8 bit color values to 12 bit using an exponential function. This is called gamma correction and tries to compensate for properties of human vision. The board is working with a line frequency of about 250 Hz which is absolutely flicker-free. For testing those boards we build once again a LED matrix but now a TrueColor Matrix.

The board uses three TLC5940 (each has 16-channels) with constant-current sink. With only one interchangeable resistor one is able to control the global brightness of the matrix. In addition, each LED (channel) can be regulated individually. Hence, even with low quality LEDs one is able to achieve perfect white light.

For data communication the board uses UART with a fixed baud rate of 1MBit/s. For simplicity, we decided to use standard Ethernet cable to transfer data between boards. We used Cat6 cable but in principle the category doesn't matter. Every board has one data-in and one data-out port (RJ45 jacks) and the boards can simply be daisy chained for larger matrices. In principle the total size is unlimited. Data is fed in pixel-wise (like for the famous WS2801) and the controller takes the first incoming 384 bytes (128 Pixel x RGB), all further incoming data is directly sent to the next board.

The total size of one controller board is 11.5 cm x 8.0 cm. The layout and schematics can be found in the download section. You can also find the firmware there.

Update: 2012-12-16 - A new SMD version of these controller boards with all (SMD) parts pre-soldered is now available in the web shop of agile-hardware. See description added below.

Board Top View

Partlist

Description Part on PCB Quantity Supplier Order-Nr. (URL)
HEXFET IRF7314 Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 4 Reichelt IRF-7314
TLC5940NT IC3, IC4, IC5 3 RS 422-283
28 Pin IC-Socket 300mil IC1, Ic3, IC4, IC5 4 Reichelt GS 28-S
Resistor SMD 0,25W 1% 10K R3, R8, R9, R12, R13, R16, R17, R20, R21, R26 10 RS 679-1765
Resistor SMD 0,25W 1% 2K2 R10, R11, R14, R15, R18, R19,R22,R23 8 RS 679-1989
Resistor SMD 0,25W 1% 2K R2, R4, R6 3 RS 679-1982
Resistor SMD 0,25W 1% 220R R24, R25 2 RS 223-2164
Resisitor SMD 0,25W 1% 1K R1, R5, R7 3 RS 679-1844
ATMega 328P IC1 1 Reichelt ATMEGA 328P-PU
74HC138 SMD IC2 1 RS 662-8109
Ceramic Capacitor 22pF, 20% C2,C3 2 Reichelt KERKO-500 22P
Oscillator 16,0 MHz OSZ1 1 Reichelt 16,0000-HC49U-S
Pinheader 2x8 Pitch 2.54mm CON_RED, CON_GREEN, CON_BLUE, CON_ROWS 4 Reichelt MPE 087-2-016
Jumper JP1/JP2, JP3/JP4, JP5/JP6 3 Reichelt JUMPER 2,54GL RT
Pinheader 1x2 Pitch 2,54mm JP1, JP2, JP3, JP4, JP5, JP6, Terminator 7 Reichelt MPE 087-1-002
Modular Jack DATA_IN, DATA_OUT 2 Reichelt MEBP 8-8G
Ceramic Capacitor 100N, 20% C1, C4, C5, C6, C7 5 Reichelt Z5U-5 100N
Electrolytic Capacitor 680uF C9 1 RS 572-079
LED 5mm blue DEBUG 1 Reichelt LED 5MM BL
LED 5mm green PWR_LED 1 Reichelt LED 5MM GN
Screw terminal 5.08mm PWR 1 Reichelt AKL 101-02

Scaling

As mentioned above in principle you can daisy chain endless boards and thus build huge matrices. However, you have to consider that with a data transfer rate of 1MBit/s the maximum frame rate of your matrix will decrease with increasing size.

For standard realtime / video play back a frame rate of 25 FPS is fine. This is also the default frame rate that our Glediator software uses. Well, with 1 MBit you can easily calculate how many boards you can daisy chain before breaking below 25 FPS:

Yes, the magic number is 8.

That means a matrix size of 32x32 or 64x16 or 128 x 8, respectively.

If you intent to go for bigger matrices but still what to have a frame rate of 25 FPS you will need to have your data spread via net work. In this case you should read this article.

PC connection

If you decide to go the traditional way of data feeding via UART (not more than 8 boards daisy chained) you will need an USB-UART-Converter capable of delivering 1 MBit UART. Many of those you can buy on ebay for 3 bugs or less. However, many of them are using cheep chips that can not handle 1 MBit. So we strongly recommend to use these guys (because we know that the will work).

SMD-Version

For all who don't want/can buy all the parts by themselves and/or don't like to solder: There is a SMD version of these boards available in the web shop of agile-hardware. This board comes with all SMD parts soldered! You just need to solder jacks and pin headers (all included).

Note: Please note that these boards are electrically identical to the original version. Nevertheless, there is an important point to consider: The spacing of the pin headers was choosen to fit exaclty to our ready-to-go LED-Panels. Thus the spacing between the pin headers and the RJ45-Plugs became very narrow. So if you intent to use this SMD version of the board to drive your self-made matrix you should take really care on wether your connectors will fit in between the two RJ45 jacks or not! If not, we just recommend you to mount the pin headers face down on the PCB! Standard ribbon wire connectors will not fit and you will need to mount the pin headers from the bottom side.

Wiring

To connect these boards to an LED matrix you can use the following schemes as Guidelines.

First you need RGB-LEDs with common Anode (+). We used these Guys:

The next point is to build a matrix of them. It's straight forward, just connect all anodes in a each row and all colors in each column.

Next point is to hook the matrix to the controller board. Also that's straight forward processing. We recommend to use ribbon wire.

Now hook up the "Data In" connector to an USB-UART-Converter of your choice.

That's it, start Glediator on your PC and have a lot of fun.

Comments

-4 # okay1 2016-06-01 08:46
Do you need a Business loan?
We offer loans at 3% interest rate. We give out personal loans, auto loans, mortgage loans, agricultural loans, business loans. We give out amount between $5000 to $10 Million. Email us to apply:

0 # AL 2015-12-23 20:58
This is really nice! Do you use diffused RGB LEDs or clear RGB less? Thanks!

0 # Etti 2015-02-28 21:20
Hello,
i would like to use this software, but when i connect my avr to the PC, it's schown as a USB Serial Port in the Device Manager, but Glediator doesn't show any Com-Port...
Can someone help me?

+3 # ackcsaba 2014-08-28 19:13
Hello!

I would like to ask how can i upload the firmware to atmega328?

Thanx

Csaba

-3 # Korbi 2014-06-07 23:46
Tach,

wie schauts denn aus, wenn ich pro Pixel zum Beispiel 9 LED nutzen will zwecks gleichmäßiger Ausleuchtung? Einfach die Anoden/Kathoden alle paralell? Ich denke an 5mm-RGB-LED mit Common Anode.
Reihenschaltung geht wohl nicht, wenn ich mir die 5V-Supply anschaue.
Habe aber erhebliche Bedenken, einfach 9 LED paralell zu schalten... Spannungsunters chiede usw.

Gruß K

0 # billieblaze 2014-03-11 21:30
you mention fuses being set a certain way, but now what the values should be! I've got this breadboarded, but its definately acting strange!

0 # pash 2013-12-26 22:36
where is Electrolytic Capacitor c8 on the cirquit scheme?

0 # David 2013-12-12 23:10
Hi, first of all, great project. Looks amazing.

One question :P Sorry newbie.

How did you calculate the refresh rate? On the schematic it says :

f_cpu = 16Mhz --> f_GSCLK .. etc ... 250Hz

I just don't see it, sorry. If somebody could explain it in detail it would be much appreciated. thnx

0 # Hobitz 2013-11-15 11:55
You are using 8 pins out of 16pin header for rows. What was the main limitation to make this board output 16 rows?

0 # Bryan 2013-10-25 13:36
How would one go about getting one of these boards in the US or something similar?

-1 # mstevica 2013-06-30 01:51
I would like to put 3x1w diodes.

0 # mstevica 2013-06-30 01:50
if you could increase the power output?
I would like to put 3k1v diodes.
greeting

0 # Scott 2013-05-30 15:06
I see that these can be controlled by an Arduino. I can see a comment here saying your too busy but have you developed any sample code/sketch for this yet?

I would like to order an SMD board but can't unless i know how it works!

Thanks

+2 # Mahi 2013-03-21 14:16
Hello Rene,
That is really an awesome project.
I have couple of questions. I am a layman, so please let me know.

1. What are the steps to upload the program into the boards.
2. Do we have to load into all boards that are connected.
3. Can we have 20 boards of 8x16 leds.
4. Can we display videos

Please let me know.
Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks,
Mahi

0 # Lukas 2013-01-12 22:55
Hi,
I've got one (maybe quite stupid) question:
You wrote:
"Typically we set them to about 40mA giving a total Power consumption of 5V/2A"
It suggests that each of TLC5940 chips can be loaded with current higher than 600mA. It seems to me that it's extremely high current for that small DIP package. Moreover, TLC5940 datasheet states that maximum output current is 130mA.
At which point do I make a mistake?

0 # Stephen 2013-04-28 20:37
Sadly the datasheet is not very clear about the maximum limits of the TLC5940 as a whole. The 130mA refers to the max current per channel. The only real limit to that is the power dissipation max and the output voltage. Refer to the PD calculations on page 15.

0 # Mike 2013-01-02 04:06
My matrix is just flashing, the LEDs are not steady. And they are not showing the right colors. What is wrong?

0 # René 2013-01-02 10:26
That's a bit less information! Could you please send an email at with some more particular information on your setup. As more information you give, as faster we can point out what causes your problem.

0 # Mike 2013-01-02 18:54
I have a USBasp programmer. I integrated the Tlc5940 library to the Tlc5940.ino file then compiled it in Arduino IDE. then i used avrdude to flash the Atmega328p with the .hex file that Arduino IDE compiled.

+1 # René 2013-01-02 19:50
Did you set the fuses correctly? If not you'll work with wrong baud rate and this will result in flickering and wrong colors!

0 # Nedix 2014-08-24 21:53
Quoting Mike:

Hi Mike, did you manage to solve the flickering issue? I have the same thing, the LEDs and software are no usable, they simply flicker like crazy. I've flashed only the HEX file, I didn't go down the INO road. What fuses did you set? Didn't you need the EEP file?

Cheers

0 # Schlonz 2012-12-30 11:33
hi

ich hab mir zu weihnachten euer board, also die led matrix gegönnt. ich hab jetzt alles zusammengelötet und wollte es ausprobieren....

kein mucks es passiert einfach nichts der glediator erkennt das board nicht und dier usb2serial zeigt keine Aktivität an.

ich weiß nicht woran das ligen könnte... helft mir bitte

mfg
schlonz

0 # René 2012-12-30 14:09
Hallo Schlonz,

kannst Du Dich bitte via mail bei uns melden, dann wird Dir schnell geholfen :lol:

0 # Greg 2012-12-15 19:27
Damn I Just read the posts and answered my own question here

sorry.

it looks like I am within specs to be okay with only 8 boards. however you did say that for 25fps it's best to be well below 1333 pixels. what do you think I should do?

0 # René 2012-12-17 09:19
8 Boards will work fine!

We recently added a paragraph to the article above.

0 # Greg 2012-12-15 19:20
Grüß dich, I don't know if you remember me I'm the one who ordered 8 controller boards and had my friend Franz send them to me. I have to say, "Vielen Dank!" they are so cool. I have tested one on a 16x8 matrix and it is AWESOME.
I have a question though. when I am finished constructing the 32x32 matrix, will I need a couple universal interface boards to control it? or will I be ok controlling all 8 boards using the USB to UART off of a single arduino uno?

0 # Marcin 2012-12-05 23:41
Great work!
I want built similar matrix, and use your board schematics. But I don't understand why there are two GSCLK outputs from atmega328? Is one not enough?
I would be gratefull if you will explain it.
Regards, Marcin

0 # René 2012-12-06 08:53
It is one OUTPUT and on INPUT!

The INPUT kust counts the number of GSCLK cycles and thus the µC knows when to latch new data!

0 # Marcin 2012-12-06 15:56
Now it makes sense... Thanks a lot :-)

0 # Paul 2012-11-12 21:40
goood work! what power supply need each board? :o (using RGB LED 20mA per color). Thanks :P

0 # Dominik H. 2012-11-12 13:00
Wahnsinns Projekt!

Habe eine Frage, steht der Verkauf noch von der fertigen SMD-Variante des Contoller-Board s für mitte November?

Dann würde sich warten echt lohnen.

Danke und Grüße aus Österreich!

0 # René 2012-11-12 15:00
Hallo Dominik,

wir hatten hier ziwshcenzeitlic h sehr viel um die Ohren, saodass es wohl etwas später wird. Die SMD-Platinen gehen Ende dieser Woche in Fertigung, welche ca. 5-6 Wochen dauern wird. Dann geht's in den Webshop :-)

Beste Güße!

0 # Dominik H. 2012-11-12 21:46
Hallo, Rene,

DANKE für die schnelle Info! :-)
Na dann werde ich noch warten.
Preise wisst ihr ja wahrscheinlich noch nicht, oder?

Danke nochmal!

+1 # wummi 2012-11-14 09:33
Super neuigkeiten!
danke für das Update, ich werde wohl auch noch warten, wirds halt eine Weihnachtsbaste lei ;)

0 # MMCBRIDE 2012-10-24 14:06
Hello, So I live in the USA, I would really like to build these boards but the schematic in the download page is just an image file, and above is an Ultiboard image. is it possible to get a copy of the schematic as an eagle file or multisim file in order to re-fabricate the boards myself?
Thanks so much.

+1 # René 2012-10-29 07:16
Hi there,

since we want to prevent other people (especially companies) of just taking our layout file and (re)distributin g our boards we decided to not publish any layout file.

If you are interested in re-building a PCB by your own we can send you a pdf with the copper layer for etching.

If this is an option for you just write a short mail to

0 # Mmcbride 2012-11-01 19:06
thanks will do

0 # MMcBride 2012-11-12 17:21
I sent an email about a week ago in regards to my previous request. I'm not sure if you never got it due to being a US email, i also checked my spam just in case. It's .

Thank you for anything you might be able to do.
Matthew McBride

0 # MMcBride 2012-11-08 18:44
Is there a specific reason that the reset on DATA in does not pass through to Reset the other boards too?

Thanks again
Matt

0 # René 2012-11-08 21:37

in cae you whant to change Firwware via Arduino-Bootloa der and a *special* patch cable you will only affect the FIRST board in a row.

But that was just for our *internal* purpose when developing the firmware for these guys. Nowadays it's just a relict.

0 # MMCBRIDE 2012-10-23 19:09
Hello I am very interested in making this project however I live in the USA so i can't get shipped the PCB boards. On your download page you have a jpeg of the schematic is it possible to get an Eagle / Multisim / UltiBoard file so I can re-fabricate the board myself?
Matt

0 # Konrad 2012-10-18 15:02
Great stuff :-)
Any specific reason why you used the Atmega328? Or you simply like it?

0 # Thomas 2012-10-18 20:40
Hi Konrad,

I guess we simple like them since it is the microcontroller we started doing 'projects'. (everthing started we one arduino duemilanove)

Cheers, Thomas

0 # Konrad 2012-10-19 15:29
Ok. Asking because I recently bought two Atmega8 and was wondering why it should not work.

And another question: This
is showing a voltage stabilizer at the top left? Why does it need that many 100nf capacitors in parallel?

Sorry if that is a stupid question, but I am not an electronics expert, having just some good half knowledge.

0 # Thomas 2012-10-19 20:56
Oh, now I understand you first question. I doubt that Flash and SRAM of the ATmega8 are sufficient for this controller. I need to check the exact amount.

To your second question: The image is just a schematic and doesn't reflect the real location of the components only their connections. The exact wiring isn't shown here. Usually one places a 100nF decoupling or filter cap in front (close to) of every IC's power input.

0 # Konrad 2012-10-20 01:20
ATmega8: ok, let me know if it would be suitable!

100nf: understood, thanks!

0 # Thomas 2012-10-20 19:33
The binary sketch size is 1,760 bytes, this fits into the program space. And I believe that the SRAM should also fit. So, from my current knowledge ATmaga8 should also work.

0 # Charly 2012-10-17 21:43
:lol: :lol: When they start selling on eBay or DealExtreme? Just what I was looking for. I'm from Uruguay, Greetings.

+2 # René 2012-10-29 07:20
Don't you have any friends or relatives living in the EU? May be they can order for you and send you the package ;-)

Have a nice day!

0 # Josh 2012-09-26 23:21
My polarity from the board is flipped. The positive side is coming out negative and my negative side have a positive voltage.

Thanks for any help.

0 # Natalia 2012-09-19 17:52
Beautiful :D !

René! If I wanted to use RGB LEDs of 1w In This proyect, what should I do??

thanks.

0 # René 2012-09-26 19:47
Hi Natalia,

1W per pixel !! WTF are you planning to do? A matrix visible from moon?

Seriously speaking, 1W LEDs are not suited for these boards. If you want to do so anyhow you have to hook up MOSFETS in between the outputs and the LEDs. However don't forget that outputs are const. current sink, so you will have to use proper fitting resistors for getting a voltage signal steering your Mosfets.

But again, even for outdoor LED matrices working at day light 1W per pixel would be totally overkill!

0 # Antonione 2012-09-19 17:29
you send to Brazil the PCB for LED matrix controller board

-2 # Thomas 2012-09-26 07:38
Sorry, but for now we (or better the webshop of our friend) only delivers to countries in europe.

0 # Rick 2012-09-16 01:08
I'm trying to test 1 board but non of my leds will light up. im running it through an arduino with the wires set to:
orange- TX
orange/white- RX
green/white -ground/pin14

and i have glediator set to:
Output protocol- Glediator Protocol
Mapping mode- board of pixels
color order- RGB
COM-port- COM5
Serial open
terminator jumper is in

Can you help me

0 # René 2012-09-16 08:23
If you are using an Arduino Board as USB-UART-Conver ter you have to connect:

orange-RX
orange/white-TX

That's because on the Arduino RX/TX refers to the Chip while for all Stand-Alone-USB-UART-Conver ters RX/TX refers to application!

And by the way, did you set the baudrate in Glediator to 1MBit!?

0 # Tom 2012-08-24 19:47
Hi did you decide to use only 3 tlc5940 chips per mega 328 for any reason i.e limitations on memory or available speed to refresh chips would it be possible to use a 6 tlc5940 to increase the capabilities of each board to 32 by 8
Thanks
Tom

0 # René 2012-08-27 06:33
See anser below ;-)

0 # ItsJustDave 2012-08-23 03:41
Is there a US distributor that might carry your PCBs? Agile hardware does not ship to the US.

0 # René 2012-08-27 06:32
Sorry! But for the moment we can not send to US. Don't you know anybody in EU who could order for you?

0 # Tom 2012-08-19 17:00
Hi
Is there any reason for only using 3 tlc 5940 chips per atmega 328. Was this all the 328 could handle memory or refresh wise or was it just an easy number. do you think it could handle 6 tlc5940 ?
Thanks
Tom.

0 # René 2012-08-27 06:31
I would say the 328 could handle up to 6 of the TLCs. However we went for 3 since 16x8 is a nice portion of a LED panel (most people want to start small). Additionally 3TLCs + 1ATMega are fitting well on a small PCB. With 6 of the TLCs life would be a bit more complicated concerning the required PCB space.

Hope that helps!

+1 # bdog 2012-08-11 14:38
Hello!

I would be interested into setting a 4 controller pixel like display.
Glediator seems nice for animation; but i would like to be able to use it as standalone for picture display (band logo mainly); is there a way to use those matrix controller using arduino and being able to change color of each led?

0 # René 2012-08-27 06:26
Yes, you can do so!

The controller boards have a simple serial interface and they don't care wether the data comes from a PC (Glediator) or form another dedicated Arduino behind the wall!

If you know the basics of µC programming you will easily write firmware for such a device!

However, if you don't want to write any firmware by yourself and just want to have your matrix playing stand-alone you may look for our interface boards (http://www.solderlab.de/index.php/led-projects/universal-interface-board)! The can play animations (created in Glediator) from a SD card, with no connection to a PC.

Hope that helps! For further questions feel free to ask!

0 # matgg 2012-08-08 01:18
sorry but I had a comment, but no longer appears. Let me know if it got removed by something bad, or were never loaded correctly.

Thank you very much.

-2 # matgg 2012-08-06 18:23
Very good your page, I'm writing from Argentina.

I congratulate them for their work, are great.

I wonder if you can get the schematic of the board in the format of the program. no .png I want to make some modifications to the original.

Thank you very much.

PS: sorry for my bad English.

My mail is .

0 # Thomas 2012-08-08 08:19
Sorry, but no.

But you can tell us about your wanted modifications if you want. Maybe we can incorporate them in a successor version.

Cheers, Thomas

0 # matgg 2012-08-09 02:27
No problem I suppose the image of the schematic is complete.

Thank you very much for your time.

0 # matgg 2012-08-09 02:33
changes basically wanted to do was change the surface mount integrated by some equivalent of the classical type DIP, because Argentina is unfortunately difficult to get the mounting surface.

regards

0 # Steve 2012-07-30 21:10
Hi,
I am trying to get my head around your use of UART.

Does it work like a shift register, and keep the last bid of data it gets, or the other way round, and keep the firs bytes, then pass on the rest.
Also, UART has no latch, so how do the boards now when to set the outs, and clear the serial byte counter, if you did it that way.

Steve

0 # René 2012-08-03 08:41
Each board takes 384 bytes of data. If more data is coming in it is directly passed to the next board.

To know when a new frame starts we send a "1" in front of each frame. This one resets the internal counter and is immediately passed to the next board.

This only woks if we (the software delivering the frames) replaces all pixels containing the value "1" by "2".

We can go this way, since during the internal gamma correction the values 1 and 2 are asserted to the same output value anyway :lol: (due to integer rounding).

Thus we do not loose information!

Hope that helps,

0 # Steve 2012-08-03 23:31
Thanks, I am assuming you send data RGB, 1 byte each, then on to the next pixel.

Do you draw the data as you get it, or do you wait for the next frame command, as to lessen the delay between the first and last pannels

Thanks You,
Steve

0 # Thomas 2012-08-05 20:02
Quoting Steve:

The boards continuously draw the matrix!

A simplified explanation: The matrix data is an array of bytes read from RAM. If new data is available, e.g. Glediator is sending a new frame, an interrupt fires and the relevant entry in the array is updated.

0 # Stefan 2012-07-24 20:06
Hi super Seite habt ihr da,
ich wollte mich an einen 8x8x8 cube waggen, habt ihr sowas schon mal ausprobiert? ich denke da an eine zusatzkarte zum multiplexen! ist sie schnell genug?
Danke und macht weiter so!
stefan

0 # Thomas 2012-07-26 07:30
Hallo Stefan,

wir hatten mal einen Cube angefangen, ihn aber nie vollendet. Wir hatten damals RGB LEDs mit gemeinsamer Kathode verwendet. Waehrend der Konstruktion haben wir parallel am Matrix Controller Boards entwickelt. Die dort verbauten TLCs sind aber Konstantstrom-S enken!, d.h. die LEDs sollten gemeinsame Anode haben. Nach langem hin und her haben wir entschieden, den Cube einzustellen und das Projekt spaeter mal wieder aufzugreifen, aber diesmal mit common anode LEDs. Fuer die Ansteuerung wuerden wir dann einfach 4 von den Matrix Controller Boards verwenden. Dann noch eine schoene Software drumrum ...

Gruss, Thomas

0 # stefan 2012-07-27 21:46
Hallo Thomas,
das stimmt das ist der beste weg!
Ich kämpf mich grad durch die elektronik shops, ihr oder steffen habt nicht zufällig einen Bauteile bausatz den ihr anbietet? :-)
Gruß und danke für deine mühe
stefan

0 # Thomas 2012-07-29 17:49
Hallo Stefan,

einen Bauteilsatz werden wir wohl nicht anbieten, das ist einfach zu viel Arbeit fuer uns. D.h. bis jetzt muss sich jeder selbst die Bauteile (Teileliste im Downloadbereich ) besorgen.

Aber - z.Z. arbeiten wir an einer kostenguenstige n Variante des Boards (alles SMD), das wir dann vollbestueckt anbieten wollen. Das koennte aber noch so 1-2 Monate dauern.

Gruss, Thomas

0 # stefan 2012-07-30 16:18
Hallo thomas,
Danke für die Info!

0 # PartyFreund 2012-10-01 19:40
Quoting Thomas:
Hallo Stefan,

einen Bauteilsatz werden wir wohl nicht anbieten, das ist einfach zu viel Arbeit fuer uns. D.h. bis jetzt muss sich jeder selbst die Bauteile (Teileliste im Downloadbereich) besorgen.

Aber - z.Z. arbeiten wir an einer kostenguenstigen Variante des Boards (alles SMD), das wir dann vollbestueckt anbieten wollen. Das koennte aber noch so 1-2 Monate dauern.

Gruss, Thomas

Hallo,

gibt es schon was Neues bezüglich der vollbestückten SMD Variante? Ab wann kann man so etwas bestellen? Könnt ihr sonst einen oder zwei Shops empfehlen, wo man die Bauteile herbekommt?

Gruß
Der PartyFreund

0 # René 2012-10-04 07:29
Hallo,

für die bestückte SMD-Variante der Contoller-Board s testen wir gerade die Prototypen. Bisher sieht alles super aus und wir planen einen Verkaufsstart für Mitte November.

Wenn Du nicht so lange warten willst/kannst dann findest Du alle Teile bei RS, Farnell und Reichelt.

Beste Grüße,

René

0 # wummi 2012-10-04 17:59
Hallo, das find ich Erstklassig mit den fix-fertig Platinen! SMD-bestückung ist nicht jedermanns sache, vorallem nicht meine :-*

toll wäre eine mailingliste oder eine voranmeldungsmö glichkeit! Ich nehm euch sofort 4 Boards ab sobald es die gibt :)

gruß aus Österreich

+1 # PartyFreund 2012-10-09 17:10
Hallo,

eine Frage habe ich noch: Gibt es eine Übersicht, welche Bauteile auf der Platine wohin gehören? Bin beim Bestellen auf einige Hürden gestoßen :-?
Oder noch besser wäre, eine Übersicht mit den Bestellnummern aus dem/der Shop(s).
Wie teuer werden die fertigen SMD Platinen in etwa sein? Wenn ich das weiß, kann ich besser abschätzen, ob sich das warten lohnt.

0 # wummi 2012-10-11 11:21
hey suchst du das?

0 # XzzX 2012-07-07 22:17
tolles Projekt!!!
Bin grad selber am experimentieren mit einem Nachbau. Leider kann ich den Schaltplan im Download-Bereic h nicht finden. Ist das ein Fehler oder habt ihr ihn absichtlich gelöscht?

0 # René 2012-07-08 05:58
Ups, der muss wohl beim Umzug der Seite untergegangene sein! :-* Wird gefixed!

LG

0 # XzzX 2012-07-09 14:32
Vielen Dank!
Das ging ja schnell!
Eine Frage hätte ich noch. Wie macht ihr das mit der Datenübertragun g bei mehreren Boards? Weiß jedes Board wie viele noch kommen und lässt dann entsprechend viele Zeichen durch? Gebt ihr den Quelltext zur Firmware auch frei?
LG

0 # Thomas 2012-07-10 07:43
Jedes Board nimmt sich seine 384 bytes und was mehr kommt, wird an's Naechste weitergeleitet.
Dabei gibt viele Moeglichkeiten, wie man mehrere Boards zusammenschlies sen kann. Die meisten Faelle werden von der Software (Glediator) unterstuetzt!

Der Fimware im Quelltext kannst du auch im Downloadbereich finden.

0 # XzzX 2012-07-11 17:59
cool! Vielen Dank!
Dann werd ich mal versuchen, das alles nachzuvollziehe n. ;-)

lg

0 # Rick 2012-06-22 15:20
What power supply did you use to power the boards? How many volts? How many watts?

0 # René 2012-07-08 05:57
This depends strongly on the current you adjust for the LED's. There are some sense resistors on the board adjusting the amount of current the drivers will sink.

Typically we set them to about 40mA giving a total Power consumption of 5V/2A.

On our prototypes we also tried with 80mA giving 5V/4A. That was double of power, but the brightness of LEDs was not significantly increased, So we decided that 40mA is a suitable value giving an acceptable power consumption!

0 # Matze 2012-12-11 08:32
Der Strom von 2A bezieht sich auf nur ein Board?
D.h. wenn ich 4 Boards verwende, benötige ich theoretisch eine Powerversorgung mit 5V und 8A?

0 # Ben M 2012-06-14 15:50
Hi there!! Awesome website and documentation of your outstanding projects..!
I have followed the link to your friend's website/shop to purchase THR boards required for these 16x8 matrices as I would like to build 4 units and link them. The only problem is that it is in German and I'm finding it hard to navigate the site. Do you have a specific link for the boards required for this project? Also, are they populated or would I need to solder all the components to a pre-made PCB??

Any help would be greatly received as I'm keen to try this out :-)

Kind regards, Ben

0 # Ben M 2012-06-14 15:52
Sorry.... "purchase the boards"

0 # Thomas 2012-06-15 08:45
Hi Ben,

you can choose the language on his webpage by clicking the 'English flag' on the top right. Then you look for SolderLab as manufacturer and you'll find the boards.

Up to now the boards are not populated (PCB only) and you have to buy and solder all parts yourself. You can find the part list in the download section of the board.

Maybe one day, if their is enough interest, we will sell 'complete' boards.

Thomas

0 # Ben M 2012-06-22 07:22
Thanks for the reply! Shortly after writing that message I found the English link...sorry!! I then easily found the boards, and realised they are unpopulated. Not a problem, just thought I'd ask :-) they're out of stock however....bad times!! Any idea when he'll have more stock in? I'm keen to get the project moving but I'm falling at the first hurdle here :-P
Regards, Ben

0 # Ben M 2012-06-22 07:26
Sorry for the corrections but I can't find how to delete posts on my phone. Just seen they're back in stock...!

Thanks again.

0 # stanley 2012-06-02 23:10
very nice job i wan to build whall 3x2m 64x96pixels can i linked 24control boards ?

0 # stanley 2012-06-02 23:30
Quoting stanley:

sorry 36 control boards

0 # stanley 2012-06-02 23:32
Quoting stanley:
Quoting stanley:

sorry 36 control boards

i cant count :D
48:) control boards

0 # Thomas 2012-06-11 20:18
Hi Stanley,

in principle yes, BUT please read this before you start!

0 # stanley 2012-07-23 09:29
:cry: its any way how to videoboard with 48 boards? with 25fps ? thank u i just have no 10 000euro for led vision curtain

0 # Thomas 2012-07-24 08:08
No need to cry! We are working on a solution.

Check here for more details:

0 # icefumy 2013-01-10 09:26
So accourding to that, 25fps can still be made with a 3x3 array of controllers?

I'm planning on making a big screen, about 130cm x 65cm, so more pixels is better ;-)
If I use a resolution of 24x48 pixels, i have a nice 1:2 ratio, so a nice and even grid too!

0 # icefumy 2013-01-11 09:37
Found a answer in the led project page.

+1 # maxmeazle 2012-05-08 22:19
Awesome projects guys! This is really fantastic! Thanks for sharing!

0 # aeon 2012-05-02 20:42
hallo, das projekt ist mal sehr nice . kann man noch irgendwie die platinen beziehen ? ich bin auf dem platinen gebiet noch total neu und hab keinen plan wo ich da/wie ich da günstig an welche komme.

desweiteren hab ich noch ne frage da ich noch knapp 1000 common cathode RGB LEDs rumliegen habe ob ich die damit irgendwie verwenden kann , aber wohl nicht weil die TLC5940er konstant strom liefern oder?

mfg.

0 # René 2012-05-02 21:22
Melde Dich doch bitte mal über "Contact" ganz unten rechts in der Fußzeile. Vielleicht können wir Dir helfen an Platinen zu kommen.

Common Cathode geht leider nicht mit den TLCs, diese sind Konstantstrom-S ENKEN!

0 # Jaz 2012-10-27 03:41
@aeon
schau dir mal die schematik hier an
flipmu.com/file s/2011/04/Chron omeV2_2.zip - da sind auch cathoden leds verbaut und diese werden über transistor und dem 5940 angesteuert. vielleicht hilft dir das beim verbauen deiner restbestände ;)

0 # Mitruel 2012-04-29 22:21
Perfect Documentation!
Tolles Projekt und wirklch einfach zum Nachbauen geeignet.

Danke Pepe!

0 # Blizzard 2012-08-22 20:18
Fantastic project !
I want to control my board with an arduino or with processing, I understand the trick with the '1' but I dont know how to send a frame for the display can you wrote a sample for example fill in red the board with processing or in the loop function of arduino code. Thanks

0 # René 2012-09-10 19:44
Sorry, but for the moment we are too busy to create sample code for you to get started. But we are sure you will manage this challenge by your own!

Just take a look for the usage "Serial" in Processing and you will rapidly come to success!

Have fun!